GLS German Language Summer Study Scholarship
Have you ever wanted to study German in a setting other than at the Sacramento Turn Verein’s German Language School? Perhaps you envision a study program that would immerse you in the language and culture for a few weeks instead of just ninety minutes a week, but the time and cost have prevented you from applying. The GLS would like to offer you a chance to apply for such a program.
Through the vision and efforts of Irmgard Schlenker, our first teacher, a memorial scholarship for the purpose of studying German at an accredited summer language program has been established. It continues to be funded by profits from our annual Maifest and private donations. An award of $3,000 will be given once every three years beginning in 2014. The first scholarship was awarded to an adult in 2014. In 2017, it will be awarded to a younger student between the ages of five and fifteen (K-10). This sequence will be repeated in 2020 and 2023.
To be eligible, applicants must meet these requirements:
- Applicants must have enrolled in and completed at least two sessions of German at the STV German Language School anytime during the past three years;
- For the youth award (2017, 2023) applicants must be between the ages of five and fifteen. There will be two categories within the youth group:
- Older Youth, ages 11-15: for older children who are mature enough to attend a program without accompaniment, but with supervision at the program site.
- Younger Youth, ages 5-10: Children in this age group must be accompanied by at least one parent. Youth applicants in this age group will be invited to a conversation with the GLS Scholarship Committee in lieu of writing an essay, but the parents must submit an essay. (See next paragraph and the application page.)
- Applicants must exhibit a high level of enthusiasm for the German language and culture, and curiosity about the world;
- Applicants must become familiar with the possible German summer language programs available, some of which are listed on the attached page, but there are others to be found.
If you meet the above requirements, we encourage you to complete all parts of the attached application, which includes providing personal information, writing an essay, securing a letter of recommendation, and submitting the completed application by mail to the German Language School Scholarship Committee at the above address between Nov. 15, 2016, and the deadline of January 15, 2017. The application will also be available at http://stv-germanlanguageschool.org/scholarships, but may not be submitted online. The winner will be selected by January 30, 2017, and he/she should select a summer program of his/her choice by March 1. The award amount of $3,000 will be given directly to the program selected by the winner. If the program costs under $3,000, the remaining amount must be applied to travel. If the selected program costs over $3,000, the recipient must be willing to pay the difference.
To download these instructions and an application form in PDF format, click here.